Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Stimulating and Appealing Discoveries


http://www.extension.org/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/boys%20with%20fingerpaints.jpeg

 

This picture describes itself. There are a million words that can describe how these little boys are feeling.  I can tell that they are really having a great time exploring with the finger paint.  I love the fact that they have it everywhere.  I once was that child that loved to get messed and had no worried.  Absolutely love the big happy smile.   

Here are two quotes that I found to be true……

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

“This is the real secret of life -- to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.”

― Alan Wilson Watts

I have chosen these two quotes because the first I feel like I learn more from my students when they are engaged in play at center time and outside time.  The second quote is how I viewed life when I was growing up.  I told my parents I always wanted to stay a child and never grow up.  So the only way I decided to stay young and never grow up was to became a teacher and play with the children all play. 

 

I feel that this course has been one of my most challenging courses since I have been enrolled at Walden University.  Overall, I have learned a lot not only from the instructor by also from my colleagues.  Reading, responding, finding articles and sources to help improve their current study topic for their research topic has been a BIG challenge because I did not want to let anyone down. 

Throughout this course I feel like a lot of us have bonded by technology. LOL!!!  But serious some of us talked on a daily basis trying to figure out what was due and what to do.  Even though we have not physical meet in person it seem like we have created a relationship and friendship that will last for a life time.  I have learned so much from everyone in this course.  Reading and responding to everyone post have increased my knowledge about different social change in the world. 

I would like to personal thanks everyone in this course for you support and encourage words throughout this course.  But a big thanks to Susan, Dan, Avis, MyTra, and Randi.   

 

References


http://www.extension.org/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/boys%20with%20fingerpaints.jpeg

8 comments:

  1. Felecia,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog post! The initial picture you shared was my favorite because it really brings to light the importance of play and the joy that comes along with it. Often times people do not associate play with learning but truly they are directly connected in the world of early childhood education. This post has demonstrated that you have pushed yourself as a lifelong learner and as an educator, which demonstrates the hard worker that you are. I really enjoyed the fact that you decided never to grow up so you became a teacher, great move! I have really enjoyed working with you during this class and hopefully we will be in classes together in the future. I also found this class to be challenging, without the support of Dr. D and my classmates I don't think I would have done as well. So thank you!

    Randi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Randi and looking forward to work with you again too.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your blog and I enjoyed seeing the two boys playing with the paint. The quote from Plato is so true and also the "picture is worth a thousand words" I want to thank you for kind words and support throughout this course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Felecia,
    Thank you so much for your post! I totally agree with you and I am the same; I joke with people all the time and say that is why I love teaching Pre-K because I'm mentally four and love it! Play is SO important and I'm so glad it is being brought back into early childhood classrooms. Thank you! Cissy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Felicia,
    I see that your post and picture has already triggered some positive feelings among classmates. For me after teaching HS for 33 years and now mentoring and tutoring at the prison and at the preschool, I am reminded of to things. First, as I deal with young and old, I see that we all deep down are the kids in the picture. Second, I know that the place that I feel the most valuable is playing with the very young. Sometimes when I am playing easily in the preschools or with the grandchildren, I find it so natural for my brain to go to about age 3. I think it has something to do with being able to take off our masks. I complement Cissy because having the heart of a four year old is a very profound accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete